Capitol Building Washington DC
Social Work Day on the Hill will take place in Washington, DC, on World Social Work Day, March 17, 2015. The activities will begin with Social Work Student Advocacy Day on Capitol Hill from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Members Room, Thomas Jefferson Building, Library of Congress. Students from 17 universities will participate in the advocacy day, which will feature former Congressman Edolphus "Ed" Towns, as keynote speaker. Towns is a social worker and founder of the Congressional Social Work Caucus, currently chaired by Congresswoman Barbara Lee.
The keynote will be followed by a panel discussion of the Social Work Reinvestment Act, moderated by Charles E. Lewis, Ph.D., president of the Board of Directors of the Congressional Research Institute for Social Work and Policy (CRISP). Participants will then make visits to congressional offices.
A Social Work Day on the Hill Reception will follow from 2-4 p.m. at the Rayburn House Office Building. The reception is sponsored by CRISP and the National Association of Social Workers (NASW), in conjunction with the Congressional Social Work Caucus. Keynote speaker will be The Honorable Ronald V. Dellums, a former psychiatric social worker who served in the U.S. House of Representatives for 26 years. Dellums will be followed by a distinguished panel of speakers representing major national social work associations.
The evening will end with a World Social Work Day networking event.
Organizers of the days' events are the Greater Washington Society for Clinical Social Work, in conjunction with the Congressional Research Institute for Social Work and Policy (CRISP), the Congressional Social Work Caucus, the Catholic University of America, Social Work Helper, and brandu.
Participating universities are:
- Arizona State University School of Social Work
- Bowie State University School of Social Work
- Catholic University of America National Catholic School of Social Service
- George Mason University Department of Social Work
- Howard University School of Social Work
- Morgan State University School of Social Work
- Rutgers University School of Social Work
- Salisbury University Social Work Department
- University of Alabama School of Social Work
- University of the District of Columbia Division of Education, Health, and Social Work
- University of Kentucky College of Social Work
- University of Maryland Baltimore School of Social Work
- University of Maryland Baltimore County Baccalaureate Social Work Program
- University of Montevallo Social Work
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Social Work
- University of Oklahoma Anne and Henry Zarrow School of Social Work
- University of Southern California School of Social Work
For more information, see the CRISP website.